A 38 year old man from Abbotsford has died after ingesting fentanyl.
Abbotsford police Constable Ian Macdonald says the case is unusual because the man did not appear to be aware he was taking the substance in its pure form.
“Regrettably, stories from predominately across North America indicate that people usually don’t have alot of exposure with Fentanyl. Fenantyl can be many many more times potent than what people think they are encountering in the form of cocaine or heroin. It is rapidly absorbed into your system, and certainly that is a possibility here.”
A bag of fentanyl was found in the man’s trailer, and police decontaminated the home because of safety concerns.
No one in the surrounding area was asked to leave because of safety issues, and officers do not believe the trailer was a drug lab.