The mayor’s council on regional transportation has approved a 30-year “vision” for transportation in Metro Vancouver.
The plan spans three decades and is aimed at reducing congestion and costing $7.5 billion.
Mayor’s Transportation Vision:
- A new tolled four lane Pattullo Bridge.
- New light rail transit lines in Surrey.
- Millennium line extension in the form of a subway to Arbutus.
- 11 new B line routes.
- 50% more Seabus service.
- 30%t increase in HandyDart service.
- fleet expansion and system upgrades to west coast express, Canada line, Expo line and Millennium lines.
- 25% bus service increase.
- Investments in cycling routes.
- Upgrading major road networks.
Mayors are also requesting that the provincial government review it’s current tolling policy to ensure it’s a balanced and fair system throughout Metro Vancouver.
Proposed revenue sources:
- Tolls on new Pattullo Bridge.
- Federal gas tax.
- Additional ridership.
- Possible regional sales tax.
- Re-allocating the carbon tax.
- Possible road pricing.