Update: Three alarm fire in Burnaby

Vancouver, BC, Canada / (CKNW AM) AM980

Burnaby Emergency Support Services is finding alternate accommodations for dozens of seniors and disabled people after a fire broke out at a Burnaby social housing high rise.

Assistant Fire Chief Mark Fletcher says fourteen crews and forty firefighters responded to the fire at a concrete building near Kingsway and Edmonds just before 3pm.

“We have three people who have gone to the hospital, the extent of their injuries looks to be smoke inhalation. We had one lady collapse; we aren’t sure the extent of her injuries.”

Many residents with mobility issues were rescued.

Marvin Reddemann is disabled, but managed to make it down eighteen flights of stairs to safety.

“It was scary but when I smelt the smoke it’s like get out leave. And it was hard getting down eighteen flights.”

Karen Maxwell lives on the 17th floor and fled to safety.

“I did see the boom, so something ignited; I saw the fireball come out his balcony. There was a lot of smoke, the balcony is pretty scorched.”

First responders believe careless smoking is to blame.

One unit is gutted.

Others are damaged by smoke and water.

Comments

  1. An unsupported conclusion. The automatic assumption of cigarette is not only presumptuous but unfounded.

    Because of the amount of seniors in that building I would first look at OXYGEN Tanks….you would not believe how many there are using them!! and have personally seen the seniors carting them around on little buggies and backpacks……EVEN IN THE KITCHEN. WITH AIR TUBES DANGLING…GO FIGURE. Sitting in chairs next to electric bar heaters

    This would also account for the “fireball”

Leave a Reply